Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 4

Me llamo Zeta. I am bad at riding on planes and I am a Poke'mon master. But mostly, I just love Jesus and even though it's a little cliche' I have seen God work this week.

Hospital Escuela- This place is horrible. But I had some great prayer time and God revealed Himself in a solemn but merciful way to me and I'm so glad we went. Basically, we brought a bunch of donated stuffed animals with us and handed them out to the kids. That seems simple, but for me it was the farthest thing from my comfort zone possible. I essentially walked into a room full of physically and emotionally broken children and was expected to strike up an encouraging conversation in a language I don't speak. Each floor we visited, every new room we entered we discovered new pain and sickness afflicting the toughest kids I've ever encountered. All without being able to speak truth to them in their own language. It was ok, though, because the God of Moses was behind me and ended up reaching past me, as well as each of the champions I am proud to call friends in my group, and busting down the language barrier in a beautiful way.
     Yesterday, we read a story about a leper who hadn't been touched, even by his own family, for five years, but was then emboldened by the distant sight of his daughter as he hid behind a tree near his own home, to go and seek out the Teacher that had come to his city. When he had found Jesus he called to Him and He came, touched the leper like no one else would and healed him with a word. This story is about Jesus not only restoring the man's health but restoring his humanity with a touch. And that was the lesson we carried with us into the hospital. We spoke to the children through touch, restoring their humanity and their sense of self-worth as only Jesus' hand reaching through us could.


Basilica Suyapa- A huge Catholic church. Probably the most expensive looking building I've ever been in. Had some good prayer time here. Also, Wiz and John stealthily evaded the guard and made it to the top level of the church and back outside without being discovered. I was moderately impressed.


Casitas Kennedy- This place was freakin' sweet. It is a subsidized orphanage with some of the most happy-go-lucky kids EVAR and they molestar'ed the snot out of me. First we bought 3.2 billion pizzas and hauled them all over, set them down and got down to business with some intense frisbee after which a kid made off with our frisbee. Then I watched and giggled as Eric, Wiz and John were mobbed by ravenous, raging kiddos when they tried to hand out said pizza. After pizza I nonchalantly painted a couple of girls' nails alongside Caity and Wiz and got the frisbee back, we promptly made the mistake of letting a kid hold onto our frisbee while Henry started dancing. The frisbee stayed lost this time. I was devastated. More importantly, Henry, a teenage boy who lives in the same house as David (our host) is my God Blessed HERO. I TELL YOU HWAT. This dude danced to requested songs and the screams of star-struck girls for a solid 25 minutes. Then he proceeded to teach a few girls some dance moves and then give his testimony about how he grew up with drugs, sex and alcohol and through Christ he was able to set those things aside to discover and subsequently embrace the gifts given to him such as dancing and drawing. This guy's heart is really in it and a piece of me is going to stay here with him.


Mother Teresa Home- Another orphanage. For little kids this time, I'm talking 2-5 years of age. Not a lot happened here but we were again able to spread the love of Christ through touch and quality time spent coloring pages and taking an obnoxious amount of pictures as well as swooning over a particularly chubby little guy whom we had to beg to sit still for a while because he was so flighty.

When we got home our hired hand lady cooked us the most awesome pork chops in the nation. Then I learned how to play the card games Rook and 31.

Then we fedoodled.

Molestar (verb): to bother.








2 comments:

  1. I am not sure who wrote this blog but it brought me back to Honduras so vividly. Thank you so much for bringing your day so ALIVE for those of us at home! Great job!!! Awesome God!
    Love you ALL!!!! Miss you terribly!!!!

    ReplyDelete